Malaysia Truly Asia
Holiday Regions
Getting There
Visa Requirements
Immigration Offices
Entry Points
Getting Around
Facts at A Glance
Tourist Offices

click to listen to voice over Click to listen the narration

All persons entering Malaysia must possess valid national passports or other internationally recognised travel documents valid for travel to Malaysia. These passports or travel documents must be valid for at least six months beyond the date of entry into Malaysia.

Commonwealth citizens (except for India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka), British protected persons or citizens of the Republic of Ireland and citizens of Switzerland, the Netherlands, San Marino and Liechtenstein do not need a visa to enter Malaysia.

Citizens of certain countries which include Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Japan, Republic of Korea, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Turkey, Italy, United Arab Emirates and the United States of America do not require a visa for a visit not exceeding three months.

Citizens of European Countries, Baltic and Commonwealth of Independent States, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Romania and Syria do not need a visa for a visit not exceeding two weeks.

Citizens of North Korea, Cuba, the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, the People's Republic of China and holders of Hong Kong Certificate of Identify, Myanmar and Taiwan are allowed to enter Malaysia subject to their application for a visa being approved.

Application for Visas
Application for visas for the purpose of entry into Malaysia should be made at the nearest Malaysian mission abroad. In countries where Malaysian missions have not been established, applications should be submitted to the nearest British High Commission or Embassy.

Entry into Malaysia
Passes to be Obtained at Point of Entrya visit pass for the purpose of a social, tourist or business visit may be obtained at the point of entry if the visitor can satisfy the immigration authority at the point of entry that he has a valid passport and visa (wherever applicable).

Visit Pass (Social or Tourist)
Visit passes (social or tourist) are issued solely for the purpose of a social or tourist visit. A person who has been issued with a social or tourist visit pass is not permitted to take up employment, business or professional work while in Malaysia.

Visit Pass (Business)
Visit Passes (Business) are issued to :-

  • Owners and company representatives entering for the purpose of attending company meetings, seminars, inspection of company's accounts or to ensure the smooth running of the company concerned.
  • Investors or businessmen entering for the purpose of looking at business opportunities and investment potential.
  • Foreign representatives of companies entering for the purpose of introducing their goods that are to be manufactured in Malaysia, but not engaging in direst selling or distribution.
  • Property owners entering for the purpose of negotiation, selling and leasing of properties.
  • Foreign reporters from mass media agencies entering for the purpose of covering conventions or any other event in Malaysia.>
  • Participants in sporting events.
These passes cannot be used for the purposes of employment or for supervising the installation of new machinery or the construction of a factory.  

Conversion of Passes
Foreign visitors, except those from the Republic of Singapore, who have entered Malaysia on social or tourist visit passes may apply to the Immigration Department to convert their social or tourist visit passes into business visit passes. This ruling is designed to assist foreign visitors who wish to undertake business activities.

All applications for converting social or tourist visit passes into business passes must be submitted to the Immigration Department with a letter of recommendation from the Ministry of International Trade and Industry.

Passes to be Obtained upon Arrival in Malaysia
Other than applications for entry for the purpose of tourist, social or business visits, all applications for passes mentioned below must be made upon arrival in the country.

All such applications must have sponsorship in Malaysia. The sponsors must agree to be responsible for the maintenance and repatriation of the visitors from Malaysia should it become necessary.

The types of passes issued are as follows :

  • Visit Pass (Temporary Employment): This is issued to persons who enter the country to take up temporary employment.
  • Employment Pass: This is issued to any foreigner who enters the country to take up a contract of employment with a minimum period of two years.
  • Visit Pass (Professional): This is issued to foreigners for the purpose of engaging in short-term contract with any agencies. The validity of the pass varies but does not exceed twelve months at any one time.
  • Dependent's Pass: This is issued to the wife and children of any foreigner who has been issued with an Employment Pass. This pass may be applied together with the application of Employment Pass or after the Employment Pass is approved. The wife and children of any person who enters the country on a visit pass (temporary employment or professional) will be issued a visit pass (social).
  • Student's Pass: This is issued to any foreigner who enters the country for the purpose of taking up studies in any approved educational institution
 Updated :